Simple Steps to Prevent Osteoporosis in Your Future
September 17th, 2016 by admin
When I turned twenty, my mother gave me a tub of face moisturizer with a note that said, “You’ll thank me when you’re forty.”
When it comes to aging, self-care is important. And it’s never too soon to start.
It’s a fact of life that we all get older – but we don’t have to take its effects lying down. Wrinkles can be diminished with a little moisturizer, vitamins can keep hair and nails in tip-top shape, and a little daily exercise can stave off osteoporosis.
Now, you might be thinking to yourself, “Come on! I’m not that old yet! Osteoporosis is what withered old women get – I’m still young and vibrant!” And we agree: You’re gorgeous! But it’s never too soon to start planning for your future. Just think: Would you rather be a “withered old woman” or would you like to be that amazing old woman who’s still in the prime of her life?
Osteoporosis is the thinning of your bones. This thinning makes your bones much more fragile and easy to fracture. And one of the risk factors of getting it? Simply being a woman!
How to Stave Off Osteoporosis
According to Dr. James Gerace:
“One of the best ways to strengthen your bones and prevent osteoporosis is by getting regular exercise. Even if you already have osteoporosis, exercising can help maintain the bone mass you have.”
Walking, hiking, dancing, stair climbing, resistance training with elastic bands, water exercises, and free weights are all perfect methods to prevent osteoporosis from raining on your future self’s parade.
Here are some suggestions for adding simple exercise into your daily life:
- Park a little far away from the entrance of the grocery store and walk to get there.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator at work or your apartment. Or use a stepper at home. Or even a stair machine at the local gym!
- When you hear “your jam” on the radio: Dance, baby, dance!
- Go to the local pool and do some water exercises – even walking from one end of the pool to the other for a few laps counts! (Swimming itself, while great for your heart and lungs doesn’t provide the resistance needed to stave off osteoporosis).
- Get some elastic bands and use them. Or, if that’s too expensive, simply use a rolled up bath towel. Take one end in each hand and pull!
- Buy some free weights (they have cheap ones at Target!) and add light weight-lifting to your morning routine.
And when it comes to hiking…? Well, we couldn’t recommend a more exhilarating or beautiful hike than the ones we offer on our Malibu, California fitness vacation. You’ll have gorgeous mountain scenery to the East and majestic beaches to the West. And after working up a nice sweat, you’ll have a nutritious meal followed by an hour-long massage to look forward to. Oh, and did we mention the sunsets? They’re to die for!
Thirty minutes of exercise five days a week is all it takes to keep your bones healthy.
So what are you waiting for? Start today!
You’ll thank us when you’re seventy. 😉